This article is part of Managing bug report in issue tracker series.
See managing bug reports in issue tracker for common information. Please, read it first. For common information and setup of Exceptionless itself - please see this article. The text below assumes that you already completed Exceptionless installation.
Below are detailed steps for recommended Exceptionless setup for automatic bug report submission. Before going through setup - make sure to upgrade your Exceptionless to the latest version.
Some steps below are optional, some steps must be executed only once (like account registration), other are executed from time to time (like creating new projects for your new products) and the rest are executed regularly (like marking issues as "fixed").
Full list of necessary actions contains:
Please note that all actions below are just examples. It's recommendation, but it's not necessary to be absolutely like that. You may use another configuration.
Important Note: Exceptionless does not support adding file attaches to crash reports. E.g. EurekaLog file reports and screenshots will not be available.
Creating user accounts
Creating new user
2. Once logged in - go to your profile settings and set up e-mail notifications:
Setting up e-mail notifications
1. You will be asked to created your first project immediately after registration:
Creating a new project for bug reports
If you have skipped that dialog for any reason - go to projects administration settings to create new project:
Creating a new project
Once you have created a new project - you will be asked to download Exceptionless client for your project:
Since you will be using EurekaLog to post crash reports to Exceptionless - you can skip this step by clicking on "Go To Dashboard" button. Or you can also click on buttons for notification settings or project settings.
We recommend to click green "Gears" button to go to project options (see step 2 below).
2. Setup project access. Go to project's options:
Adding access to the project
Switch to API Keys tab and add a new API Key:
Creating new API key for EurekaLog
You can enter arbitrary description to indicate that this key will be used by EurekaLog. Copy API Key to paste it into EurekaLog's configuration (see below).
1. Enter Exceptionless details into EurekaLog configuration of your projects:
Exceptionless settings filled into EurekaLog options
Important Note: use API token created earlier. After you have entered token into EurekaLog's configuration - delete token from whatever place it was saved (clipboard, text file, etc.).
If you forgot your token - you can retrieve it from options of Exceptionless project.
3. Set/fill custom fields. You can add additional information for bug reports in Exceptionless, for example:
procedure SetCustomFields(const ACustom: Pointer; AExceptionInfo: TEurekaExceptionInfo;
ASender: TObject; AWebFields: TStrings; var ACallNextHandler: Boolean);
AWebFields.Values['License'] := GetYourApplicationLicense;
4. Add any custom data, write necessary event handlers, set exception filters, etc, etc.
1. Test sending. You can do this right in the EurekaLog send options dialog - by clicking on "Test..." button. This will send test bug report.
Suggested actions are:
These actions should test that sending is actually working.
2. Now it's time to test your application-specific sending.
Now your application is ready for deployment.